1 (edited by vinyldarkscratch 2017-08-08 02:51:46)

Topic: [In Development] Launchpad Lightshow Creator for MIDI Extension

Lightpad - Launchpad Lightshow Creator for MIDI Extension
This program is almost ready for use, please check back later!

Goal
Lightpad is a cross-platform graphical application in development by Nightwave Studios, designed to work with Exige's MIDI Extension and provide an easy to use interface to create the MIDI animation files loaded by the extension.  With easy access to MIDI Extension files, playback of the lights on both your computer screen as well as your Launchpad (of any model, but starting development with the MK2 and Pro), RGB color to velocity conversion, auto-saves, Ableton Live project export, and unlimited feature requests, our goal is to help make the creation of lightshows much more efficient.  Plus, it will be free and open source for anyone to download!
A screenshot of Lightpad for Mac taken on July 17, 2017 at 15:11
Developer's Story
Nightwave Studios is a volunteer-based, international production studio founded by Vinyl Darkscratch-Kazotetsu back in 2011, starting with projects such as Crossbred, what was to be a 3D animation, and an RPG engine written in Python. The studio was shut down in 2013 due to lack of available time to focus upon it, but then restarted in early 2015 with Adapting to Night's Source Filmmaker animation, adding new projects and divisions like _The_Ch@nge_, Front Stage, and Speak Louder, and bringing back one of the old projects, Crossbred, as a video game.

Programming by Vinyl Darkscratch, Light Apacha, WhoovesPON3.  App icon and display panel graphic by Vinyl Darkscratch.  Splash screen by Vinyl Darkscratch, drawing by Yogfan14, with brushes by Alberto Seveso.  Special thanks to LaunchpadFun for additional support and allowing us to use features from their own program, LightshowCreator, and to the Launchpad community for making this program possible.

Contribution
The source code is hosted on https://github.com/VaduNightwave/lightpad and is available for anyone to look at or contribute to.  Please make sure to give credit if any of the code from the program is used in another project of yours!  We will always make sure to include your name in our own attribution.  wink

Existing Software
Before anyone comments about the existing programs for this, I am aware of the existence of some of them, but they all seemed to have one major caveat that I wish to fix with my own program.  The Launchpad LED Editor by iUltimateLP seems nice, but it's somewhat early in development, and Windows-only.  LaunchpadFun's LightshowCreator (LSC) has more development put into it, with lots of useful tools implemented into it, but it's also Windows-only.  Launchpaddr is definitely the one with the most development thus far, but it's an online program, sadly, and I like to work on-the-go a lot.  I want to provide another alternative, one that works on both Windows and Mac (as well as Linux), and is completely offline, interfacing directly with the MIDI Extension.  Of course, choose the one that works best for you, no matter what!

Re: [In Development] Launchpad Lightshow Creator for MIDI Extension

looks like it s coming to life

|_ /\ |_| |\| [ |-| |) /\ |) for life <3
                        |

fractured soul wrote:

looks like it s coming to life

And just that, it is!  Once Whooves finishes the MIDI parsing, then we will be able to make a copy ready for use.  smile

Just recreated the entire timeline panel from scratch and hooked it up...  Whew!

I am really looking forward to this! Do you have an idea when you'll put a version out for us to try?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

xirug wrote:

I am really looking forward to this! Do you have an idea when you'll put a version out for us to try?

I'm really glad to hear, thank you!  c:  For a usable version, I can't say for certain, but I'm estimating somewhere within the time span of a few weeks or a few months, depending on the spare time I have in between my scheduled times to work on it.  The Windows version may take longer due to issues with the operating system and it's (horrible) build system, where the macOS version would be available right away (since it's my platform of choice), but I'll make sure to keep you up to date on it's progress.  wink

A few months!? You're really teasing us! Anyway, I hope the development continues. I also hope the Windows version does not give you too many problems because there are a lot of Windows users!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

xirug wrote:

A few months!? You're really teasing us! Anyway, I hope the development continues. I also hope the Windows version does not give you too many problems because there are a lot of Windows users!

-giggles- Perhaps I am~ tongue  And, development's definitely not stopping!  Actually, funny thing is that I'm working on it this very moment.  X3

"I also hope the Windows version does not give you too many problems"
Vinyl immediately starts shivering in PTSD of dealing with coding on Windows... (It's so bad, there's no organization whatsoever... DX)

Looks very good! Good luck with making this!

Have a good day :3

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Frankenstein795 wrote:

Looks very good! Good luck with making this!

Thank you~ big_smile  I'm also really glad to say: once I get the timeline ready for use, Lightpad will be at a good enough point for use.  What that means is, Xirug, I underestimated when I said a few months!  wink

welp , good luck tongue

|_ /\ |_| |\| [ |-| |) /\ |) for life <3
                        |

Hey guys, I’m happy to say that we’re just one or two weeks away from a beta release!  Just working out the final kinks in the code (and implementing animation editing), and then we’ll be golden~ If you want to keep up to date with the program, subscribe to the newsletter at http://www.nightwave.co/lightpad

vinyldarkscratch wrote:

Hey guys, I’m happy to say that we’re just one or two weeks away from a beta release!  Just working out the final kinks in the code (and implementing animation editing), and then we’ll be golden~ If you want to keep up to date with the program, subscribe to the newsletter at http://www.nightwave.co/lightpad

Whoo! Great to hear! Will you manage a Windows beta as well? I'm really pleased to see you're still making progress with this project and I can't wait to try it out big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

xirug wrote:

Whoo! Great to hear! Will you manage a Windows beta as well? I'm really pleased to see you're still making progress with this project and I can't wait to try it out big_smile

My plans are to host a macOS beta to begin, since it's much easier to develop on Linux and macOS instead of Windows (thanks to the fact it's the only OS that doesn't ship with a code compiler so it's a pain linking the needed libraries as there aren't dedicated folders, urgh).  Once I figure out how I can get a version compiled for Windows, then I'll immediately release a beta for it, so that more people can try it out.  wink  (If you were to subscribe to the newsletter, that would be the best way to receive the beta right away.  I promise that isn't spammy, they're all emails written by yours truly and occur less than weekly!)