Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/5/d393721214/htdocs/forum.launchpad-pro.com/include/parser.php on line 756

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/5/d393721214/htdocs/forum.launchpad-pro.com/include/parser.php on line 811

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/5/d393721214/htdocs/forum.launchpad-pro.com/include/parser.php on line 811

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/5/d393721214/htdocs/forum.launchpad-pro.com/include/parser.php on line 816

1 (edited by Exige 2016-01-03 00:35:40)

Topic: MIDI file Drum Rack extension (In-progress)

What if we could drag and drop MIDI files onto Ableton’s Drum Rack and play them in the same way we play samples?

This is possible with a Max 4 Live device.

Creating such a device would allow for simple MIDI -> lightshow conversion, at least as simple as loading samples onto a Drum Rack. However, it would also allow for super-complex MIDI programming, allowing a MIDI file to be triggered at ANY point anywhere in a MIDI chain, essentially opening up a whole new level to MIDI programming in Ableton. I've already done a lot work on a similar device, and a majority of the work is finished. I just don't have the time to invest in completing the project myself - that is why I want to collaborate with you, the forum, to make this happen.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

What we've got so far

M4L in-progress

3 (basically) finished parts

• File-drop

• File-name send (converts “Macintosh HD:/Users/…/…/MIDI Effects/Max MIDI Effect/MIDI/*.mid” to “MIDI/*.mid" to make loading MIDI file presets possible on all platforms)

• Main MIDI player - note-in -> seq -> midiout

What we need
  • Clip tempo adjustment, this one is quite simple - 2 number boxes will be needed, 'Clip Tempo' and 'New Tempo'. You can change the seq speed with a 'start #' message, with 'start 1024' being normal speed and 'start 512' being half speed.

(New Tempo # / Clip Tempo #) * 1024 -> 'prepend start' -> seq

e.g.
(60 / 120) * 1024 -> 'prepend start' / (start 512) -> seq = the clip plays at half speed

• Automatic 'state save'. This is the difficult one, we need to make it so that every specific instance of the device saves the MIDI file name and other data automatically (with a unique device number perhaps?) in the background - into a "data" folder in the device directory. I've tried to implement this with a pattr system, but using a 'coll' object could be a better method. I'd love to discuss this with someone who has time to experiment with the different systems, hopefully we can find one that saves silently in the background.

• Poly/Mono - though this is basically done. Currently the 5 seq's alternate, meaning you can play the clip again before it's finished playing the first time - adding a trigger to alternate between the 5 and 1 is all this needs to be implemented.

Everything else can be done using MIDI chains. Looping? Arpeggiator & Note Length. Multiple MIDI clips alternating on one note? Random device. This is why such a simple device will be so powerful. This is one of the features Ableton lacks the most - let's unlock it together!!

Download of the device at this early stage. Please comment your thoughts and let me know if you'd want to help out with this project!

M4L original

The original device I was working on: download. The concept is the same, except in the original, once the MIDI file has been triggered no further processing can be done. The MIDI extension device would have 100% flexibility in terms of positioning within a chain and further individual processing of the file.

Thumbs up +6 Thumbs down

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /homepages/5/d393721214/htdocs/forum.launchpad-pro.com/include/parser.php on line 814

Re: MIDI file Drum Rack extension (In-progress)

Amazing work - but that's also the reason why i always split my drumrack and my lightshow. I have a Track for both of them - one filled with animations and the other with sounds - first i finish the song (in theory... cause i never finish songs :X ) and then i assign a nice lightshow to it. which can be triggered live or saved in a midi clip by recording.

I don't know if i understood you correctly and that's what you mean - but it seems like a easier solution to me. Surprisingly few people seem to do this.

In the case of a lightshow, you'd have the regular audio Drum Rack, then a separate Drum Rack with the MIDI extension for triggering lights (or even just a regular MIDI effect rack, this device can go wherever you want). The difference between this and using Ableton's stock MIDI effects is the ability to play absolutely crazy MIDI files, and set it up quicker than having insanely long and complex chains (especially now with the RGB lights, controlling so many velocities would be way too difficult). Just drag and drop, and boom, you're done.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Possibly true, but since i'm still rocking my original Launchpad i never ran into such an issue cause it's way slower. I'd like to see a video demo of this so i can judge this better.

p.s. nice to see you here around and even create nice topics!

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/5/d393721214/htdocs/forum.launchpad-pro.com/include/parser.php on line 816

Perhaps, this device is only raising the limits though, it does not need to be a complete replacement. Here is the original device I was working on (download), this one is 'good to go', just drop a MIDI file onto a pad and it should correspond to the same pad on your Launchpad. The MIDI extension is almost exactly the same, except separating each pad which will allow insane flexibility with the standard chain techniques (and hopefully also preset autosave).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /homepages/5/d393721214/htdocs/forum.launchpad-pro.com/include/parser.php on line 814

Amazing! May we use this tool in our project files - with credit of course big_smile

I still make shitty launchpad covers and remakes.

https://www.youtube.com/TrilogyMakesMusic

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Of course, but until presets can be saved, it won't be of much use as you'd need to reload the samples every single time you reload the project.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

uh i dont really get it. does this allow us to use launchpaddr's shows on a button?

Have a good day :3

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/5/d393721214/htdocs/forum.launchpad-pro.com/include/parser.php on line 756

Frankenstein795 wrote:

uh i dont really get it. does this allow us to use launchpaddr's shows on a button?

http://forum.launchpad-pro.com/viewtopic.php?id=4940

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ticki84 wrote:
Frankenstein795 wrote:

http://forum.launchpad-pro.com/viewtopic.php?id=4940

Wow thank you!

Have a good day :3

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I am still baffled about this! Amazing job again, you inspire me to learn to program in M4L haha

I still make shitty launchpad covers and remakes.

https://www.youtube.com/TrilogyMakesMusic

Thumbs up Thumbs down

12 (edited by InspirAspir 2016-01-02 17:44:48)

If I understand correctly exactly what this does, then I am EXTREMELY interested, could you perhaps create a video tutorial or written tutorial on how to set this up?

I'm pretty keen to muck around with the devices; I've made some fairly similar things in the past. I'm going away for a week, so I won't get anything done until after that. Hopefully someone else has already started by then cool

LAUNCHPAD = LIFE

Thumbs up Thumbs down

14 (edited by The3RDdimension 2016-01-03 09:35:56)

I can't wait for the save feature ^_^ ive already begun using light effects with this program but its a bitch to drag and drop the effects every time be sure to contact me first once you made a breakthrough XD

Hi! I am just your friendly neighborhood DJ/Producer ( ◕ ◡ ◕ )
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/the3RDdimensionx/videos
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/the3rddimensiom

Trilogy wrote:

I am still baffled about this! Amazing job again, you inspire me to learn to program in M4L haha

Do it, opens up a whole new side to Ableton! A lot of tasks are relatively simple to code, it just falls terribly short when trying to store data which is the main issue here.

InspirAspir wrote:

If I understand correctly exactly what this does, then I am EXTREMELY interested, could you perhaps create a video tutorial or written tutorial on how to set this up?

For sure, once it's actually usable in people's projects I'll set up a tut.

DJ Naroh wrote:

I'm pretty keen to muck around with the devices; I've made some fairly similar things in the past. I'm going away for a week, so I won't get anything done until after that. Hopefully someone else has already started by then

Please do, I don't have the time to invest in getting the save feature to work, every way I've tried just keeps on failing, and the relative path ("MIDI/*.mid" compared to "C:/Users/.../MIDI/*.mid") keeps on messing up too, not the most stable of coding languages.

The3RDdimension wrote:

I can't wait for the save feature ^_^ ive already begun using light effects with this program but its a bitch to drag and drop the effects every time be sure to contact me first once you made a breakthrough XD

The original device has a save option that works, it just lacks the flexibility to alter every MIDI clip separately.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sorry but i don't know how to save with that one

I'm not sure exactly how yet, but it seems that I've managed to get everything to work. Just testing the device on multiple platforms to make sure it functions in all conditions, then I'll post a download link & tutorial on how to use it.

Check it out!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/Q2j7xtt.png

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Holy Balls Exige this is amazing i assume the Tempos are to increase or decrease the speed of the light effect i can't wait to use it and see what amazing things others come up with