1 (edited by iUltimateLP 2015-09-23 15:56:49)

Topic: Launchpad LED Editor - Create LED creations with one simple editor!

Hello guys, I've been working the past week on a simple but complex tool to create Pixel Arts, Text Scroll Effects, and others. Have a look at a picture
http://i.imgur.com/sMSinOp.png

Wrong Note mapping?
That means, if you light up an LED in the editor, it is at a wrong position at your Launchpad or isn't even shown.
It is very hard for me to test cause I only have the MK2 one, which acts like the Pro I think. Please write me, which model you have, and which LED on your Launchpad is lit, when you light some other LED at the Editor. That helps me to understand the programming manuals and find the right chart for your one.

Key features:
  - 8x8 grid on screen with realtime Color painting
  - feature to add own colors (more below)
  - Text Scrolling supported (with variable speed, color and looping option)
  - Launchpad Model selection, in order to block specific colors

Custom colors?
  You're right, custom colors. You can add own colors to play with. It works with three parameters:
    - The name (only for identifying)
    - The Velocity ID (0-127)
    - The preview color (showed in the onscreen-grid)
  So the color on the LEDs depends on the specified Velocity ID. Depending on which Launchpad you have, there are different velocitys.
  Have a look at the programmers manuals (http://novationmusic.de/support/product … =Launchpad) and scroll to the color grids.
  There are colors and the equivalent Velocity IDs. Note: On a Launchpad Mini, or Launchpad S, you can't show blue colors, so a mass of colors fall away.

Downloads:
  The full release is available here: https://github.com/iUltimateLP/launchpa … Editor.zip
  The source code can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/iUltimateLP/launchpad-led-editor

Have questions or feedback? Please tell me here, I'm open for everything.

Roadmap:
  - Maybe MIDI file import / export to export the art directly to Ableton
  - Animations? Frame based painting to create animations.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Re: Launchpad LED Editor - Create LED creations with one simple editor!

http://launchpaddr.com

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I did not made it to do any race with other tools out there. Firstly, I made it to learn about the technics on how it works, and despite, I think its cooler to see the changes in live, and not just MIDI file ready..

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I love what you're doing, I was just sending a resource your way!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Spex wrote:

Then I just misunderstood you.. Where is the difference between FL MIDi and Abelton MIDI there?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Any possibility of adding the little round buttons on the sides of the launchpad? There are more on the pro than the mark II or earlier models, but I've seen people program custom lights on them before.

When I was a kid, we didn't have any of these fancy "midi controllers"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ItZCrzY wrote:

Any possibility of adding the little round buttons on the sides of the launchpad? There are more on the pro than the mark II or earlier models, but I've seen people program custom lights on them before.

Yeah, they are just Midi notes too, will take a look in them in The next update!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I really like this idea! Can't wait to see where it leads in the future! big_smile

When I was a kid, we didn't have any of these fancy "midi controllers"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ItZCrzY wrote:

I really like this idea! Can't wait to see where it leads in the future! big_smile

I roled out an update which adds first support for those side buttons, take a look at the main thread for more..

Thumbs up Thumbs down

iUltimateLP wrote:
ItZCrzY wrote:

Yeah, they are just Midi notes too, will take a look in them in The next update!

Just keep in mind that they are not all normal midi notes. I know the top ones on the Launchpad S are CC notes. Here's a midi map of the Launchpad S if you need it smile

http://www.helionmusic.com/images/screenshots/Iht.png

My super site coding skills displayed here: http://www.helionmusic.com/
You might find a few launchpad videos on my youtube

I like music stuff, razer gaming stuff and kiwis

iUltimateLP wrote:
Spex wrote:

Then I just misunderstood you.. Where is the difference between FL MIDi and Abelton MIDI there?

Hey, the difference between FL Midi and Ableton midi is just related to how the notes map.
As the creator of launchpaddr, Im happy to see others explore making their own tools.
FYI Though, the new release which I am working on will use the WebMidi API to allow for visual feedback and editing on the LP itself.
Still very beta, any only works in the newest chrome, but you can see it in action here

http://dev.launchpaddr.com

feel free to poke around the Javascript Class I have written for this if it helps you.
the MK1 and MK2 have very different options and mappings, but I've tried to encompass both in the script.

http://dev.launchpaddr.com/inc/launchpad.js

Thumbs up Thumbs down

cynex wrote:
iUltimateLP wrote:
Spex wrote:

Hey, the difference between FL Midi and Ableton midi is just related to how the notes map.
As the creator of launchpaddr, Im happy to see others explore making their own tools.
FYI Though, the new release which I am working on will use the WebMidi API to allow for visual feedback and editing on the LP itself.
Still very beta, any only works in the newest chrome, but you can see it in action here

http://dev.launchpaddr.com

feel free to poke around the Javascript Class I have written for this if it helps you.
the MK1 and MK2 have very different options and mappings, but I've tried to encompass both in the script.

http://dev.launchpaddr.com/inc/launchpad.js

Wow hey! Mapping is definitly one thing, cause I only have one launchpad to test, but thanks for the script resource, will take a look these days. If your tool does that what mine does, better use yours cause online is better smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would say each have a great merit. because honestly, the more tools the better. A couple of things in the script you might find handy :

- There is a hex palette matrix, that is converted to rgb on init, and becomes a lookup source for .mapColorToPalette where you can specify any value and get returned the velocity index.

- I have also put in a 32x32x32 lookup matrix which enables the function .fastRGB, if you plan to be doing fast full frame animation, sort of a must if need to do adaptive rendering.

Cheers ! and good luck with your program !

Thumbs up Thumbs down

14 (edited by Sebane 2015-11-04 09:14:31)

Its nice to see theres now 3 different solutions to simplifying the Launchpad Lightshow process (including my own).
I wonder if its possible for us all to combine our talents into a singular editor, rather than re-inventing the wheel and having different pros/cons.
I'm considering open sourcing what I have thusfar and letting anybody who's interested extending the code since its all plugin based. That includes the UI and drivers.

just put it on github or so and let everyone contribute. or make a team.

Safety wrote:

just put it on github or so and let everyone contribute. or make a team.

iUltimateLP wrote:

The full release is available here: https://github.com/iUltimateLP/launchpa … Editor.zip
The source code can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/iUltimateLP/launchpad-led-editor

Thumbs up Thumbs down

17 (edited by iUltimateLP 2015-11-04 11:53:32)

Nice things to hear here big_smile  I actually made it open source because I think its easier for other people to understand how the program works. I would like to make one big editor, but we all use different Languages I guess, so that may create a problem here. Anyways, I'm currently experiementing with Animations, with a system like, one big animation array containing the frames. And the frames are actually just two-dimensional 8x8 arrays containing a Color, but I have some problems with loading the saved colors back on the launchpad big_smile

Edit: Okey Sebane nice tool, using C# as well as I see smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

iUltimateLP wrote:

Nice things to hear here big_smile  I actually made it open source because I think its easier for other people to understand how the program works. I would like to make one big editor, but we all use different Languages I guess, so that may create a problem here. Anyways, I'm currently experiementing with Animations, with a system like, one big animation array containing the frames. And the frames are actually just two-dimensional 8x8 arrays containing a Color, but I have some problems with loading the saved colors back on the launchpad big_smile

Edit: Okey Sebane nice tool, using C# as well as I see smile

I've done the thing you need in C++, I don't know how much is the C# different from C++ but to do it, I've created a new class ContainerFrame(int frame) which contain an array of the color of each button, fix some details for editing this frame on the mouse events, then I just load the correct object (it'll search the correct frame from a vector of pointer pushed back with all created ContainerFrame pointer) when you change frame value and that works fine for me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

XMcGhostX wrote:

My editor is not work, it says "Unhandled exception  has occured in your application."

Here are the details:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
Midi.DeviceException: Error in the application.
   at Midi.InputDevice.CheckReturnCode(MMRESULT rc)
   at Midi.InputDevice.Open()
   at Launchpad_LED_Editor.MainForm.midi_inputDevices_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18408 built by: FX451RTMGREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Launchpad-LED-Editor
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Isaac.do/Downloads/Launchpad-LED-Editor%20(1)/Launchpad-LED-Editor.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
Midi
    Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Isaac.do/Downloads/Launchpad-LED-Editor%20(1)/Midi.DLL
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Im sorry but I got no email that theres a new topic..
So, does it work now or do you have still the same issue?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I still have the same issue, sadly.

I am a ghost, you cannot see me..

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCzWyh … lWX1raiaDA

Thumbs up Thumbs down