1 (edited by phATty 2015-07-07 23:17:56)

Topic: Wud Is Slice2Midi, and why shouldn't I use it?

Hello everyone.
I'm Ethan.
Today I'm here to answer 1 simple question. Or 2 maybe ...

WUD IS SLICE 2 MIDI AND WHY SHOULDN'T I USE IT?!

If you're thinking TL;DR, skip to the part in "blue"

Well this can be answered very simply with a detailed explanation of what it is.
According to Ableton, Slice 2 Midi is a feature that was intergrated into Ableton that allows pitches of samples to be turned into seamless Midi data. If you don't know what Midi is let's just say it's a big file containing musical notes.

But our interpretation on this forum of Slice 2 Midi is a little different. Slice 2 Midi is a rather "noobish" way of making your own covers with less work. The process consists of taking a song maybe from iTunes or from the internet and cutting it up when all it's parts are completely mixed together. Now, why this is hated by everyone is because of the skill and effort put into the projects.

There is NO SKILL in cutting up samples from a mixed track and putting them in a drum rack,
ANYONE CAN DO IT.

So I think your rather convinced about that, if your going to get a launchpad you better make covers the right way.
I find the Launchpad as more as a live performance device for my own music, but lots of people also find it as a live device for making covers.

This is fair enough if you want to make covers. Most instruments are actually more used for making covers than making your own music.

But if you want to do that you should DO IT RIGHT.
And this is how.

First you want to download some stems. Unlike mixed tracks they are unmixed providing all the different song parts in high quality .wav files.
You get all of them in a zip file, you unzip it you get multiple audio files. You'll probably get some common files like the bass and leads and subs and so on. Oh, and one of the most important, drums.

This can allow you to slice up those stems and play each part with another hand, or even make a duet.
If you want you can even combine stems to make it easier.

So in conclusion, Slice 2 Midi is kinda acceptable for people starting out. But 2nd or 3rd cover try using stems.

To get you started here's a good website for stems : http://remixpacks.at.ua/

Envelope For Hapiness - A - 0.0ms - D - 0.0ms - S - Forever - R - 0.0ms
Would you like to know what #slicetomidi means?
I made a thread for that, check here: http://forum.launchpad-pro.com/viewtopic.php?id=4027

Thumbs up Thumbs down

2 (edited by sauravyash 2015-07-12 07:41:54)

Re: Wud Is Slice2Midi, and why shouldn't I use it?

this should be stick
I did my first 3 covers like this but aint doin it anymore
now have learnt how anyone can literally do this (even with no experience)

Hi, I do all sorts of different things

sauravyash wrote:

this should be stick
I did my first 3 covers like this but aint doin it anymore
now have learnt how anyone can literally do this (even with no experience)

Great! XD, I mean it's not too bad for people starting out, but after awhile it gets a bit annoying.

I made a thread for that, check here: http://forum.launchpad-pro.com/viewtopic.php?id=4027

Thumbs up Thumbs down

phATty wrote:

I mean it's not too bad for people starting out.

It IS bad and you should feel bad.

Safety wrote:
phATty wrote:

Well for making the entire cover yes, but slicing things like acapellas or beats, then it's a very useful tool (just saying that the vocal break part on bun dem was made with S2M

Thumbs up Thumbs down

6 (edited by Safety 2015-07-14 10:55:51)

ULT1MOD wrote:

the vocal break part on bun dem was made with S2M

StwoM? :P

Safety wrote:
ULT1MOD wrote:

the vocal break part on bun dem was made with S2M

StwoM? tongue

Slice 2 midi...tried to be a rad lad there...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

8 (edited by Safety 2015-07-14 11:35:33)

http://memesly.com/media/created/xl6c2b.jpg
i prefer #slice2midi

I'm new so forgive me if this is obvious but what's the downside to Slice2Midi in terms of the final product.
i.e. if you were to listen to two covers, one done with Slice2Midi one done with Stems, what difference would you hear?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jiang wrote:

I'm new so forgive me if this is obvious but what's the downside to Slice2Midi in terms of the final product.
i.e. if you were to listen to two covers, one done with Slice2Midi one done with Stems, what difference would you hear?

If both were theoretically done right, or overdubed which usually is pretty smart to do especially with slice to midi, then nothing. If you were to play on their own, stems would usually hold up better against slice2midi as slice2midi if you skip, miss-time (Most Do) or mess up once, it's very noticeable since the whole audio falls apart and not just an instrument whereas if a stems that is played in a final product were to screw up, it'd be harder to notice the screw up, especially if it were a background noise not up front that you pay attention to.

~Only in the night

Thumbs up Thumbs down

what pretty much everyone forgot is, that when you do it the proper way (and even add own elements) you can play it in a remixed style, while slice2midi is basically just the same thing as running the song in itunes except that itunes will play it correctly without any hickups

Safety wrote:

what pretty much everyone forgot is, that when you do it the proper way (and even add own elements) you can play it in a remixed style, while slice2midi is basically just the same thing as running the song in itunes except that itunes will play it correctly without any hickups

Very much so if you do it right, a great example that I can think of would be Shawn Wasabis Uncool Lunchtables video if others are wondering what he meant by that :A

~Only in the night

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Safety wrote:
phATty wrote:

And here we have it ladies and gentlemen, the asshole quote of the century! xD

Apparently, I'm "Diplo Jr."... I ain't complaining.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Hey… what do I do if I want to do a cover of a song that doesn't have any stems for it, for example, Two songs I WAS planning ondoing were, Virtual Riot - Energy Drink, and Pegboard Nerds - Swamp Thing, I have just been cutting the tracks up by hand (metaphoricaly speaking)

;D Yay

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DJJD wrote:

Hey… what do I do if I want to do a cover of a song that doesn't have any stems for it, for example, Two songs I WAS planning ondoing were, Virtual Riot - Energy Drink, and Pegboard Nerds - Swamp Thing, I have just been cutting the tracks up by hand (metaphoricaly speaking)

I would just pick apart the track and maybe do some EQing to isolate things as much as you can. I'm new to the whole covers game, but IMO it sometimes seems easier to make/find a sample (especially for drums) than to isolate it from a fully mixed track.

But to be honest, I don't really see the problem with slicetomidi. Comparing the "difficulty" of various methods is pretty trivial. If you get a good result with S2M and you achieve what you intended, what's the issue? If your goal is to have fun and jam around with someone else's track sliced into perfect quarter notes, do it! If your goal is to make it sound a bit cleaner and get artistic with a lightshow, then do that! If your goal is to write all original music, then do that! There are no rules, just do whatever you enjoy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hah, you guys.
Never knew the controversy this would become XD!

Thumbs up Thumbs down